Before you can begin with the migration, there are some preparation tasks that need to be performed.
Note: Dynamic servers have been phased out in DCS+. They can be migrated to a Dynamic Data Center. If you've never worked with them before, please consult the DCS+ design guide first. This will explain how to set up your new environment properly.
Preparation Process Table
|Sign Up||Gain access to the destination environment.|
|Setup Destination Environment||Prepare the vCD layout and network before the migration.|
|Create an API User||Authenticate yourself for the migration.|
|Initiate the Migration Request||Attach the migration storage to your servers.|
|Verify the migration storage profile||Ensure that the migration storage is visible to both environments.|
|Technical Considerations||Analyze your setup & take appropriate measures before migrating.|
DCS+: Sign Up
Note: You will receive a contract number (PRO-XXXXXXXX) for your new DCS+ environment. Usually, this will be the same number as for your regular DCS Classic service. Going forward, this contract number will also be referred to as "Business Group".
DCS+: Setup Destination Environment
Next, you need to make sure that the destination environment within DCS+ is properly prepared. We recommend the following steps:
- Order destination DDCs & external connectivity (internet access, WAN connectivity, etc.) in the DCS+ portal.
- In vCD, prepare/recreate your desired virtual network structure (IONs/EONs).
- Create destination vApp structure and attach all needed networks to the vApp.
- Verify if connectivity is working in general by provisioning an test VM and ensure that all needed services can be reached.
DCS Classic: Create an API User
This user is required for authentication purposes and for moving the servers to the new environment. If you already have an API user, skip to point 5.
- Navigate to the DCS Classic portal
Under "Dynamic Data Centers", click on "vCloud Director API"
If the list is empty, click on "Create new API user" on the bottom right.
Fill in the form and click "Submit Order". You can choose any username you like. This will create a service request, which may take a few minutes to complete.
Back on the overview screen, take note of the vOrg name and the login credentials of your API user. They will be required in an upcoming step.
Note: The API user is only visible if you have at least one Dynamic Data Center. If you only have dynamic storage or dynamic servers, please create a DDC by clicking on "Create new Data Center" on the main page (select Resource Allocation Model Type "Pay as you Go"). This action will not incur any charges.
DCS+: Initiate the Migration Request
- Select the "Catalog" ribbon in the top navigation menu.
- On the left-hand side, click on "Service Requests".
- Choose the DCS+ target Business Group, where you would like to migrate your workload to. For this, simply click on the "Business Groups" field and select the appropriate contract number (PRO-XXXXXXXX) from the drop-down menu.
Click the "Migration" field.
Read the description & accept the terms by clicking on "Request".
Fill in the contract & user credentials
- Contract ID: This is the contract of the destination business group in DCS+ (PRO Number) – it should already be selected automatically, no change is needed here.
- vOrg Name: The name of the virtual organization of the source platform (DCS Classic) that needs to be migrated. You can find this in the API user screen in DCS Classic.
- API Username: The username of the API user – see chapter above.
API Password: The password used for the API user above.
Note: The login credentials are necessary to validate your access authorization to this vOrg. It will not be used further by Swisscom afterwards.
If the credentials are accepted, you can click the Request button on the bottom right.
Note: This process may take several minutes to complete, depending on the amount of DDCs in your environment. We recommend to wait up to an hour at least.
DCS+: Verify the Migration Storage Profile
To verify that the migration request was successful, please check that the migration storage profile has been attached properly to the destination environment in DCS+.
- Login to the DCS+ portal.
Choose the "Business Group" that you have selected as the target destination before and click "Go".
- On the vCD landing page, click on the "Administration" ribbon.
- On the left-hand side, under the "Cloud Resources" tab, click "Virtual Datacenters".
Double-click the destination vOrg, where you will migrate your servers to.
Click on the "Storage Policies" tab. Here, you should now see that the destination vOrgs all have the migration storage available.
Before migrating to DCS+, there are some further aspects that you must consider beforehand.
|Existing snapshots on DCS Classic are not migrated to DCS+.||If you need to perform a restore within 30 days after the migration, restore a snapshot on the DCS Classic portal and then migrate the data from there. Keep your DDCs & vDCs in DCS Classic for at least 30 days after the migration.|
|Swisscom performs an hourly snapshot of the data residing on the migration storage.||Your data is kept safe during the migration.|
|At this point, you don't have the ability to perform a self-service restore from the DCS+ portal.||In DCS+, you can initiate a restore request by contacting the regular service desk.|
|Public IPs will change after the migration due to the new product model.||Depending on your setup, implement measures so that your service is still reachable via the old IP in case of having the addresses hard-coded in the configuration (e.g. HTTP proxy, NAT, redirection, etc.).|
|A new MAC address is being generated for your NICs after the migration.||Verify if there are any hard-coded entries related to your MAC address (e.g. firewall license configuration).|
|Your VMs will be powered off during the migration.||Shut down your servers gracefully before initiating the workload migration. If you have VMs that might not be able to handle a restart, duplicate the respective VMs by copying them into another vApp or vDC. That way you can perform a test migration of these copied servers beforehand.`|
|The tool creates one vApp per VM in DCS+.||Create the destination vApp layout incl. connectivity beforehand. After the migration, move the VMs to their destination vApp afterwards.|